Tupholme Abbey was founded around 1160 by an abbot and twelve canons who came from Newsham in North Lincolnshire. They were from the Premonstratensian Order which had been established in 1121 by St Norbert at Premontre in northern France. They were also known as Norbertines after St Norbert, or white canons because they wore white habits and caps. Newsham was their first English monastery. They were given the land for Tupholme Abbey by Alan and Gilbert de Neville.
This booklet looks at the history of the Abbey and includes detailed studies of the remains along with a description and pictures of what it might look like if reconstructed.
Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire