Lincoln Cathedral – A history of the Bells, Bellringers and Bellringing
This is a comprehensive history of the Bells, Bellringers and Bellringing from early Christian Churches right through to the 20th century and a book well worth having on the shelves of anyone interested in church bells and the wider background.
There have been bells at Lincoln Cathedral since its consecration in 1092 and the rules for ringing them survive from circa 1260. The names of those who rang the bells for the daily services are recorded from 1283 and the earliest surviving Company of Bell Ringers in the country is that of Lincoln Cathedral which can trace its foundation to 1595 although not formally constituted until 1612.
Bells identified in this book include: Great Tom, Quarter Bells, Saint Hugh’s Tower, Saint Mary’s Tower, The Lady Bells and The Closing Bell.
John R. Ketteringham
Lincoln Minster Shops Ltd