Backyard Beekeeping and Honey Production
Bees are an essential part of our natural world and their importance in pollinating our food crops cannot be overstated. Over a third of the world’s food is dependent upon pollinators, of which the honey bee Apis mellifera is possibly the most important. This comprehensive and informative book introduces newcomers to the fascinating and rewarding craft of beekeeping and honey production and sets out in simple terms the needs of this complex creature.
Topics covered within this book include:
- Setting up your first hive
- How to handle bees correctly and with confidence
- Practical advice on the honey harvest
- Winter feeding and inspection
- Marketing you bee products and the legal requirements
- Diseases, how to avoid them and how to deal with them
Phil Rant is a retired civil servant who now resides deep in the French countryside. He has kept bees for over twenty years, both in France and the UK. He has contributed articles on gardening and related subjects to various journals and magazines over many years.
by Phil Rant