The First Stone
This extract from The First Stone and Other Papers, originally published in 1970, has been reprinted in 2009 to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the laying of the first stone of St Botolph’s Church (Boston Stump). It is believed that the first stone was to have was laid by Dame Margery Tilney on 21st June (mid summer’s day) 1309.
Although only a short work this paper looks in depth at the difficulties faced and overcome when building this magnificent building – the largest Parish Church in England.
Richard Kay Publications